《英文电台地道美语口语经典》Topic28

  又是一年温情浓浓的母亲节,你和妈妈一起过节了吗?母亲节起源于古希腊古希腊人向众神之母致敬,后来流传到英国,并在美国正式定为节日,并影响了全世界。男孩子们会在母亲节这天为妈妈购买礼物,女孩子们会陪伴母亲一起渡过,儿女们通过各自不同的方式表达对母亲的尊敬和感谢。在中国,母亲节也是一个敬老孝老的节日,每年五月的第二个星期日已经成为一个公众必过的节日,敬重母亲、弘扬母爱,人们在这一天大大方方地表示对母亲的深厚感情。今日*简美式口语带来母亲节主题对话。

  5.11 『*简美式口语』之【《英文电台地道美语口语经典》Topic28 •Mother's Day 母亲节 】

  Mother's Day母亲节

  Dialogue 1:

  Xiao Gao: Hey, Jingjing, did you know that it's Mother's Day on May 8?

  小高:嗨,京晶,你知道母亲节是5月8号吗?

  Jingjing: Oh my! I almost forgot! Thanks for reminding me!

  京晶:哦,天哪,我差点儿忘了,谢谢提醒我。

  Xiao Gao: I bought my mom a pair of earrings and Ipromised her I will do the dishes for the next week.

  小高:我给我妈妈买了一对耳环,并且承诺要替她洗一周的碗。

  Jingjing: That's sweet of you. How did you know Mother's Day was coming up?

  京晶:你太孝顺了,你怎么知道母亲节要到了?

  Xiao Gao: Well, in most countries, people celebrate Mother's Day on the second Sunday in May. But some countries celebrate it in March or April.

  小高:大多数国家都是在5月的第二个周日庆祝母亲节,但是也有一些国家是在3月或4月。

  Jingjing: How far can Mother's Day be traced back to?

  京晶:母亲节有多长的历史了?

  Xiao Gao: The worshipping of mothers can be tracedback all the way to 6000 BC. In the United States, a woman named Anna Jarvis created what we now call Mother's Day in 1908. Later in 1914, President Woodrow Wilsonmade it an official holiday.

  小高:对母亲的尊崇可以追溯到公元前6000年。在美国,一个叫安娜·加维斯的女士在1908年创立了母亲节,之后在1914年,伍德罗·威尔逊总统宣布将其设定为一个正式的节日。

  Jingjing: Cool, so what do people normally do onthis special day?

  京晶:哦,那么人们通常在这一天做什么?

  Xiao Gao: A lot of people buy flowers for their mothers. In fact, Mother's Day is one of the biggest days of the years forselling flowers and long distance phone calls.

  小高:很多人会给他们的妈妈买花。其实母亲节是一年中花的销售量*好的一天,也是长途电话打得*多的一天。

  Jingjing: It sounds like the holiday is pretty commercialized now?

  京晶:听起来母亲节已经变得非常商业化了?

  Xiao Gao: It sure is. Most people consider Mother's Day a Hallmark Holiday because there are so many things being sold in the nameof Mother's Day.

  小高:确实是,很多人都认为母亲节是一个商业味很浓的节日,因为有很多商品都以母亲节的名义在销售。

  Jingjing: That's really interesting. Anyways, I'm gonna go to the store and get a gift for my mom.

  京晶:有意思。不管怎样,我还是要去商店给我妈妈挑件礼物。

  Xiao Gao: Sounds good, see ya!

  小高:好主意,回头聊。

  习语短语

  1. do the dishes = 洗碗

  2. trace (something) back = 上溯

  3. worship = 崇拜

  4. official = 正式的

  5. commercialized = 商业化的

  6. Hallmark Holiday= 霍尔马克节日,指那些商业意味重于宗教或纪念意义的节日

  Dialogue 2

  Xiao Gao: So, what did you get your mom for Mother's Day?

  小高:那么你给你妈妈送什么母亲节礼物呢?

  Jingjing: I got her the best gift ever! I took herto a spa to get pampered all day. She loved it!

  京晶:我给她送了有史以来*棒的礼物。我带她去了温泉浴场享受了一整天,她爱死这个礼物了。

  Xiao Gao: Oh, I should have thought of that! I bettaking her there really put a hole in your wallet?

  小高:哦,我怎么没想到这个主意呢?我猜你肯定花了一大笔钱吧!

  Jingjing: Nope. They had a Mother's Day sale, so Igot a bargain.

  京晶:没有,他们有一个母亲节的折扣,所以很划算。

  Xiao Gao: I bet there were a lot of other mothersthere too that day.

  小高:那么那天肯定还有很多其他的母亲去吧。

  Jingjing: Yeah, there were! The place was packed with mothers! I even saw my old classmate in the spa that took her mother there too! I forgot to ask, did your mom like her earrings?

  京晶:是,那天在温泉浴场全都是妈妈们。我还看到了我的老同学带她妈妈也去了那里。我忘了问了,你妈妈喜欢你给她买的耳环吗?

  Xiao Gao: No she didn't…

  小高:不,她不喜欢。

  Jingjing: You're kidding me! Why didn't she like them?

  京晶:真的吗?为什么不喜欢?

  Xiao Gao: I must have been spaced out at the time,but my mom already had a pair of the exact same earrings!

  小高:我肯定当时脑子蒙了,忘了我妈妈已经有了一对一模一样的耳环。

  Jingjing: Oh, well, it's not a big deal. I'm sure she appreciated the effort.

  京晶:哦,其实没关系,我肯定她很感动于你的心意。

  Xiao Gao: Yeah, and besides, the best part of Mother's Day is being together as a family!

  小高:是啊,而且母亲节*好的礼物其实就是全家团聚。

  Jingjing: That's true!

  京晶:说得太对了。

  习语短语

  1. spa = 温泉中心,洗浴中心(可以享受按摩、洗浴、桑拿等令人身心放松的服务)

  2. pamper = 纵容,溺爱

  3. put a hole in one's wallet =钱包都掏空了,指极其贵的

  4. bargain = 便宜货,超值购物

  5. packed = 挤满了人的

  6. space out = 放空,走神,头脑一片空白

  7. exact same = 完全一样